until Tokyo Olympics

Jan 20, 2019

The info of the Orientation for the Olympic Volunteer

I found the information of the volunteer orientation for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Although it's quite important info, I don't receive any mail or don't see any announcement on the MY Page. It was just listed in the news column on the website.

Isn't the place to post wrong?
Shouldn't this kind info be sent by email in the first place?


Actually, I have often had the feeling that...
at least regarding volunteer-related activities, the RWC2019 Organising Committee is much more organaized and doing more properly than the TOCOG.
What the TOCOG has been doing is vague and unclear, and sometimes sloppy.
I know the event scale is different though.

I wonder if the TOCOG is not sloppy and just the RWC2019 Organising Committee is doing too great?
I'm not sure because it's my first time working for an international sports event.


The information I've found includes the steps to the orientation with the orientation reservation manual (PDF file), the schedule, the venue, etc.
Is it OK that those information is posted just in the news column??
I think that many of the applicants haven't found it.

The orientation in Tokyo will be held from early in February to the end of May.

I also found some information in the Volunteer FAQ.
The TOCOG doesn't invite all the applicants. They say that they will invite necessary number of people plus expected number of refusers.
The TOCOG never mentions "lottery." They uses the word "matching." But I don't think they can check matching for all 200,000 applicants. I think that's why they keep the criteria unclear.

And what is more, they don't say anything about whether to inform the people who are not invited to the orientation, more than half of the applicants won't be invited though.


The RWC2019 Organising Committee clarified the lottery, informed both successful and unsuccessful applicants of the results, and often (too often, haha) sends us emails to give information.


Organizing committees have to be very organized. Otherwise... it takes a toll on athletes and stuff especially volunteers.

The following is a part of the article I wrote here regarding the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics.

Volunteers boycotted.
Due to crude working conditions, about 2,400 volunteers quit by 3rd February.
The remaining volunteers have requested the country’s Olympic committee to provide decent or basic working conditions.
And, in the end, over 100 volunteers boycotted the rehearsal for the opening ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment