until Tokyo Olympics

Jan 29, 2019

The Volunteer Name was decided.

The volunteer name for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics was decided and announced yesterday.

The names which were selected are;

Game Volunteer: Field Cast
City Volunteer: City Cast

Ah... I knew it.

The result is;
The total vote is 37,739.
Field Cast / City Cast                       16,187
Games Anchor / City Anchor             5,688
Games Force / City Force                  5,536
Shining Blue / Shining Blue Tokyo  10,328


I wrote before that the name candidates and my impression of them.
My article

Then, somewhat, the result ended up as I thought.
Although I hoped that "Field Cast / City Cast" wasn't selected, I predicted that these would become most popular among Japanese people.
I also mentioned that the words "Anchor" and "Force" were not familiar to Japanese people.

I've hit the nail on the head unfortunately. (<-- strange English?)

Tim kindly put his comment on my previous article about the naming. It seems that the word "Cast" is not an appropriate volunteer image for English native speakers.

I have said that "Cast" is like Disneyland. Also I heard that Japan's door-to-door delivery service company Yamato Transport has been using "Field Cast" for their delivery men. The TOCOG said that there is no problem in terms of trademark registration. That's the point? The same name as delivery men? It's the same that both jobs are very tough though.

No comments:

Post a Comment